Tuesday, October 18, 2011

                Well, yesterday I went into town and had lunch at Roses a locally owned restaurant that serves Café Vita, yummy.  I ate the Coho gravlox on rye bread with cream cheese and a side salad which had tomatoes, capers, onions and cucumbers. After, my delicious meal I strolled around town and ventured into Darvill’s bookstore where I found a great new book called Tomatoland. This book by Barry Estrabrook discusses the industrial destruction of our tomatoes. I find this to be a must read as I have been growing and tending to tomatoes all season at Ship Bay.  After, my lovely venture in town and the sun still shining I took a drive out to Deer harbor and Doe bay. The homes and views of the ocean are just beautiful.  I find there is so much to see and explore on this beautiful island which holds a special place in my heart along with the people.
                Ok, I got side tracked there now back to garden talk. So, I was working in the garden the other day and the sun was shining bright.  I found some little zucchini to harvest then pulled out some more tomatoes to make room for the lettuce.  I also need to get some mustard in the ground because it is essential to make a complete salad. In addition to some maintenance of the main garden I ventured to the herb garden which is close to the kitchen.  I had to pull out the basil plants and trim back the sage, wisteria and ligularia przewalskii . As I was tending to this garden I noticed a beautiful cyclamen in the corner of the garden by the maple.  I feel I am inspired by this garden everyday because new plants grab my attention along with insects and diseases which ignites my curiosity in the world of plants all over again. 
Kale

Yummy kale

Swiss chard
Arugala, and lettuce
Houses off Terrill Beach Rd.

Borage
Zucchini that got powdery mildew and produced only a few.

Akebia, pods

Cyclamen which I found in the herb garden

The beautiful artichoke

Scarlett runner beans pods

Scarlett runner beans

Nasturtuim flowers we use as a decoration on plants

The eggplant is still growing strong

No comments:

Post a Comment