Sunday, October 2, 2011

Catching up on time past in the garden

It is officially fall with the crisp morning air, calm ocean and serene quiet surrounds a sign of slowing down on Orcas Island. I have found this to be refreshing because while working in the garden it is peaceful and therapeutic. I can also hear the buzzing of bees along with the yellow jackets that are loving the plums and apples.

As for the garden there are still many green tomatoes, eggplants, Swiss chard and tomatillos. Yet, I am finding that the plants are slowing as well with cooler nights and less sunshine. But, there are still seeds to sow that enjoy this cooler weather. We are planting lots of lettuce, and mustard which will replace the tomatoes in the greenhouse when they are done. Here are some of the varieties we grow and use in the restaurant:
Loma, Mottistone, Heirloom blend, Nevada, Mizuna, Arugala, little gem (does germinate well), endive, etc.

The amazing eggplant we have harvested 15, wow!

My firstt time growing eggplant and I am so proud of this plant.

Heirloom blend

Borage, I had to add this because I love this plant along with the bees.


One of the heirloom apple trees.

They are ripening and I cant wait to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment