Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rainy day on Orcas

I had a hard time waking up this morning as it was dark and I heard the patter of rain outside. I took my time getting up and around, making coffee then reading one of the many books I have. As the rain let up some, I decided to wonder out to the greenhouse and tend to the tomatoes, which have grown so much in the two months I have been here. We are experiencing some verticillium wilt which is also known as the sleeping plant syndrome. The tomatoes have some very nice size fruit which is hard for some plants to hold them up. In addition, I have been seeing many aphids covering the leaves of the tomatoes and some leaves are curling. I wondering if this is due to the aphids as they vector disease. In other morning duties I came upon a baby bird who was standing in an inch of rain water in the wheel barrow and still breathing. I thought what is she doing? I stood around and watched but I didn't want to interfer with nature. So, I did some other task came back bird was still there and alive. Yet, I check on her the third time with finding her dead, so I had a little ceremony for the bird. She was buried by the foxglove.
The tomatoes in the greenhouse after two months, so big!
The brown garbage can stores the water for the tomatoes as I water by hand.
Heirloom blend lettuce with fallen over fava beans behind,
Possibly being taken by the vertcilluim wilt (VW), a soil borne disease
I think here is another victim to VW ugh!
Now the Aphids are out in full force which is making the tomatoes leaves curl.
Same plant as above, those aphids have no mercy
Well, on to happy plants. cucumbers and squash which we pulled out due to the rotting. Never a dull moment in a gardeners life.
The bed behind the greenhouse with kale, lettuce, arugala which is just emerging and mustard

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of the garden and watching the progress!! You need to come help the Sea Mar garden out!!!

    ReplyDelete